Urban forestry, restoring forests and afforestation are top priorities for China and around the world. Trella’s goal to plant 100 million trees is reflecting many international movements, from UN REDD+, the Bonn Challenge, the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, and the Decade of Ecosystem Restoration. Reforestation re-establishes forest cover where forest once grew, thus rebuilding forest function. Reforestation allows for the development of forest structure with renewed biodiversity, and a canopy that provides many benefits including wildlife habitat, clean and abundant water, carbon sequestration, wood products for consumers, forest recreation opportunities, reduced erosion, and renewed soil biologic activity. Reforestation sequesters carbon to counter greenhouse gas emissions and the effects of climate change. Afforestation establishes forest cover in ecosystems where historically no forest grew. This can lead to ecosystem destruction but is a useful practice in environments that may have experienced desertification or other previous ecosystem degradation.
Trella’s propagation facilities grow native, biologically appropriate seedlings adapted for out-planting on reforestation sites and for use in urban forestry. This assures that tree planting projects have the best chance of long-term success. Well selected trees grown under the best practices provide more benefit in a forest and in the urban forest. The benefits brought to society by a forest are the important – carbon sequestration, oxygen production, pollination services, biodiversity, and more. And urban forests offer host cities additional benefits, like shading, improved mental and physical health, pollution removal, reduced stormwater runoff. It hard to overestimate the benefit forests bring us.
Trella’s Forestry Solutions
Trella provides custom projects to meet Trella’s customer needs.
Trella offers unique and innovative solution to offsetting carbon emissions through reforestation projects:
- Trella’s ISA certified team deploys stringent, best management practices to ensure the longevity and health of trees for them to efficiently store as much carbon as possible
- Trella can provide project eco–benefit calculations beginning with carbon level reductions and in phases additional information such as air particulate matter, urban heat island effect, storm water runoff in cities. Data is accrued from Trella’s community of trees across corporates, municipalities, and individuals.
- Each project is assigned a Project Manager who will work with local governments and environmental authorities to employ and train local maintenance teams and certify project metric achievements.
That typical Project Design process involves:
Site Feasibility & Scope
Trella’s urban foresters survey potential planting locations or project boundaries to determine if the sites can accommodate the healthy growth of new trees.
Each site is its own ecological habitat or what we call ‘biotope’ for a tree. Trella aims to define the various environmental conditions that would set one street tree biotope apart from another.
A masterplan is a roadmap into the future that guides short term priorities and multi-year investment. This process requires a thorough understanding of needs, wants, existing conditions, legal hurdles, budget and maintenance.
Our team of experts provide the blueprint of where and how the trees shall be planted through a variety of tools such as GIS and AutoCAD. The result will be maximizing performance to reduce carbon levels for generations to come.
Trella’s Carbon Neutral Program
- Trella offers a unique and innovative solution to offsetting carbon emissions through forestation projects
- Each project is made possible by your investment into forest preservation and reforestation efforts through carbon credits certified by an international or Chinese authority
- Trella offers a range of certified projects for:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)
- China Certified Emission Reduction (CCER)
Customize the project and products to meet your specific needs.
- Trella develops projects that reduce greenhouse gases and produce the most ecological benefits. We do this by partnering with local governments to plant real trees in communities across China, from schoolyards to mountaintops.
- Trella supports specific carbon offset standards, which pledge transparency and quality in the creation, quantification, and verification of offset projects.
- Prior to developing a project for our portfolio, we perform due diligence to fully understand the impact of each project to ensure our offsets are making a difference.
- Our ISA certified team deploys stringent best management practices to ensure the longevity and health of trees within the project for them to efficiently store as much carbon as possible.\
- Provides clear measures for eco-benefit calculations beginning with carbon level reductions and in phases additional information such as air particulate matter, urban heat island effect, storm water runoff in cities. Data is accrued from Trella community of trees across corporates, municipalities, and individuals.